Thursday, May 15, 2008

"I have a dream...."

So McSame gave some speech this morning -- carried, of course, for free on all the cable news channels except the financially oriented CNBC -- and started talking of his vision for five years from now.

I think his speechwriters were trying to emulate Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous "I have a dream..." speech.

But it didn't exactly come out that way. As one review commented:
Throughout the speech, McCain spoke in the present tense -- listing accomplishment after accomplishment, as if were giving the speech four years from now, at the end of his first term.
He kept imagining the wonders that would ensure if people would just vote for him (from the link above):
By January 2013, McCain envisions Americans welcoming home "most of the servicemen and women" who have served in Iraq.

McCain said the Iraq war will be won; Iraq will be a functioning democracy, and any lingering violence will be "spasmodic and much reduced." He envisions the disbanding of the Iraqi militias, the defeat of al Qaeda in Iraq; a professional and competent Iraqi security force -- and a functioning and authoritative Iraqi government.

America will have a small military presence in Iraq, he said, but U.S. troops will not play a direct combat role.

(Editor's note: Much of the applause for McCain's speech seemed perfunctory. At some points, McCain paused, apparently waiting for the clapping to begin.)

By the end of McCain's first term, "there's no longer any place in the world al Qaeda can consider a safe haven," he said. There will be no major terror attacks in the U.S. during his first term, he predicted.

McCain said the U.S. and its allies will have made great progress in achieving nuclear security. "The prospect of nuclear materials in the hands of terrorists has been vastly diminished," he said.
... but not explaining how these wonders would come to pass thanks to his ascension.

More daydreams:
McCain also mentioned a "newly formed League of Democracies" that will act where the United Nations has failed to act -- in Sudan and in other places where gross human rights abuses are happening.

He predicted robust economic growth, a reduction in the corporate tax rate, a low capital gains rate. He said an elimination of tax loopholes and "corporate welfare" will "spur innovation and productivity and encourage companies to keep their operations and jobs" in the U.S.
The DNC wasn't impressed either.

My impression, listening to as much of this broadcast-for-free spew as I could stand, was that we ought to label this -- not McSame's "I have a dream..." speech -- rather the McSame "I'm on drugs..." speech.... Or perhaps the "Hey, you guys, I just had this really awesome 'wet dream' fantasy, wait till I tell ya about it..." speech.


Update

ThinkProgress reports that others saw it exactly the same way:
One reporter told McCain that his speech sounded more like “a magic carpet ride.” Taking issue with that characterization, McCain said, “I don’t think it has anything to do with fantasy.”
Yeah. That's another way to describe it.... I think he was fantasizing about bin Laden being brought to justice somewhere in there as well. Why not two chickens in every pot too? That one worked real well last time....

2 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger adrian2514 said...

Hey! Interesting comments by McCain. I think he'll have to have a lot of luck to even get an opportunity to solve any of these problems. I was browsing through a bunch of political websites and blogs (mostly liberal ones) and I came across your blog and find it to be very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like huff post, and other news sites like politico. Do you know of any that cover politics and the environment? I saw earthlab.com which has mostly environmental info but some politics. I took EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator (http://www.earthlab.com/signupprofile/). It was pretty easy to use (and it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it). Are there any other blogs you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites or any ones with green info?

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Arne Langsetmo said...

Hi Adrian. Thanks for stopping by.

My list of recommended daily reads is up on the right side of the page.

My oeuvre is mostly legal and political stuff, and I don't do lots of green stuff myself, but there's plenty out there. I will bash climate change sceptics as I run into them, but not around here (unless they walk in).

Personally, I'm wishy-washy "green", trying to do what I can, driving a hybrid (as little as possible and as slow as possible, to the distress of my sweetie), riding my bike as I can.

I saw an article in the newspaper a couple days ago about the "first hybrid boat", which powers out of harbour on electric, and then uses IC for cruising. Some wag wrote a letter to the editor disputing this claim, saying he had a "hybrid" too; powering out of harbour on diesel, and switching to renewable once clear. He called it a "sailboat".... This, BTW, is something we'd like to buy as well: A catamaran, and sail it around the world....

Cheers,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home